Pages

Monday 5 December 2011

Tree topper

What do you put on top of your Christmas tree?  A fairy? or a star maybe? or something else?  Usually I find something amusing so I used to put an owl up there complete with feathers... but for the last few years its been a fairy made with an old toilet roll for the base to slip over the tree top. It was made at one of our Embroiderers' guild workshops and I think it was a Sally idea.  However, this year I am going to use this funky silver stuffed star, just because it looks silly and brings a smile to my face.

When I was a small girl I used to walk home from school along our road and look carefully at each tree lit up in the window and see how many had fairies and I used to judge which one was my favourite, and of course sometimes the curtains were drawn so you could only make out dim shapes of  coloured lights because in those days not many people could afford lined curtains and a good many of them were probably home made; I know ours were.  I also used to count how many Christmas trees I could find on the way home and was always pleased when another one appeared. Its a good game for children, I wonder if they still play it nowadays.


Sitting on a candle on the dresser at the moment.


No comments: