Pages

Saturday 3 December 2011

Advent continued



Preparations are under way for Christmas and the tree has been chosen from Whinlatter Forest visitor centre and sits in the covered way in its bucket of water so it gets a long drink.  It will then keep its needles until well after New Year. We tried a different tree last year but I do prefer Norwegian Spruce so we went back to this traditonal tree. I need to go and collect some greenery next to make my door wreath but I will probably wait a week before I do and then I will need to condition it so its good and wet before I put it on the front door.

If you decide you need some help making a Christmas wreath then you could try here for inspiration.

Meanwhile, I decided to make some new decorations for the tree.  I have all the usual baubles and lights but fancied something new, so I hunted around and found I had loads of silk paper I'd made so I experimented with cutting and folding it into rough star shapes and added a few beads.  I have used a handmade felt ball in the centre (left overs from an EG class with Marilyn where we made felt jewellery) and I wrapped it with some gold mesh.  The background is more silk paper I made ready for a silk purse workshop I ran a while ago. Its such a versatile material because it handles like paper but you can stitch on it and manipulate it into all sorts of shapes.

experimenting with silk paper

2 comments:

Miriam Weaver said...

What a lovely tree, nothing smells like a real Christmas tree!

Lyn Armstrong said...

You are right there, I still remember the smell from when I was very small and I still feel the same thrill.