Pages

Thursday 3 September 2009

Vicky's Boiled Cake Recipe

My friend Vicky was in Booth's yesterday and promised me a recipe, like a good sport she cycled round to the house today and popped it through the letter box.  I am having a day removing wallpaper from the ceiling, so to relieve the monotony (also the pain in the neck) I decided to make the cake as an experiment for you dear readers. 

So may I present the cake:-

This is Vicky's recipe

4oz margarine or butter  ( I used Rachel's organic unsalted)
4oz Soft brown sugar
12 oz Mixed fruit
1 Tblspoon water

Place in a saucepan and bring to the "boil" gently to melt the butter and plump up the fruit.
Remove from the heat and cool slightly, then add:-

2 eggs, lightly beaten
8oz SR flour (I sifted mine)  (plus cinnamon or mixed spices optional)
¼ pint water

Mix well, put into a lined 7 inch cake tin.
Bake Gas 3 for 1½ hours  (I placed mine in my Remoska and baked for 1 hour and 20 minutes.)
She notes that you need to cover with foil for the first 45 minutes then remove it if you have a fast/fan oven.
I covered mine with a tinfoil plate as the Remoska cooks from the top and can burn cakes easily.

You can also prick the cake all over when cool and add spoonfuls of your favourite tipple.
Vicky says she often freezes hers, I don't have a freezer, just a small compartment above the fridge, so I can't try that for you.  However the finished cake looks ok and I shall try it on DH later.......

No comments: